See our video: Channel 5's "Spotlight on Business"
When did you first notice your varicose veins? Was it at the beach, the gym or maybe just putting on your shoes one morning? Or has it been so long since you were comfortable wearing shorts that you can’t even remember the joy of summer? For anyone with varicose veins there is a certain degree of embarrassment about their appearance, but did you also know that varicose veins can pose a significant health risk?
At Lavé MD, we take the treatment of varicose veins seriously and use the latest state-of-the-art outpatient procedures to eliminate both the veins and the health risks that accompany them. Because the treatment for varicose veins varies with each patient, here is a list of the most frequently asked questions about the veins and the procedures used at Lavé MD.
What are varicose veins and why do I have them?
Varicose veins are usually caused by a faulty valve in the affected vein. This valve allows the blood to back flow from the deeper higher pressure veins into the lower pressure surface veins. When this occurs, the surface veins dilate and become visible. Our first step with every patient is to check the valves in your leg with an ultrasound to determine if you have this condition. If you do, then it is very important to correct this problem first to ensure the success of your treatment.
Varicose veins tend to be hereditary so if your family members have them then your chance of having them is higher than average. Otherwise, obesity, tall stature, and excessive standing on hard surfaces contribute to varicose veins.
How does Lavé MD treat my veins?
We believe that since everyone is unique and every vein is different, we need to offer a variety of services to meet the needs of our patients. For large varicose veins Endo Venous Laser Therapy (EVLT) is an excellent treatment option. For smaller spider veins, laser therapy works well as does sclerotherapy or ambulatory phlebectomy. Your treatment will be determined after an initial consultation with Dr. Vanderpool.
How does EVLT® work?
EVLT® eliminates unsightly varicose veins using targeted laser energy to seal the faulty vein shut with no hospital stay, no scarring and no lengthy recovery or side effects. In less than an hour you can be free from bulging, twisted varicose veins and back to enjoying your everyday activities. EVLT® is safe, fast, and effective.
The benefits of EVLT are:
- Treatment in less than an hour.
- Can be performed in the doctor’s office.
- Up to 98% success rate.
- Immediate relief of symptoms.
- Return to normal activity immediately – with little or no pain.
- No general anesthesia or hospitalization.
- No scarring.
What can I expect during the EVLT® procedure?
- Your doctor uses ultrasound to map out your vein.
- Local anesthetic is applied.
- A thin laser fiber is inserted through a tiny entry point, usually near the knee.
- Laser energy is delivered to seal the faulty vein.
- Walking immediately after the procedure is encouraged. Normal daily activity can be resumed; just avoid rigorous activities such as gym workouts. And, we ask that you wear tight compression stockings for 5 days after the procedure.
- There may be minor soreness and bruising along the inner thigh, sometimes lasting up to two weeks. Any discomfort can be treated with over-the-counter, non-aspirin pain relievers as necessary..
Does EVLT hurt?
There is a little pain when the doctor injects the numbing medicine similar to the way a numbing injection at the dentist might feel.
Will my insurance cover EVLT?
Most insurance companies do cover the procedure; however, we are not contracted with all insurance companies. If your insurance does not cover the procedure or we are not contracted with your insurance, then we do offer financing and credit card options.